Thursday 27 August 2009

Tamayokucha Green

According to the literature, this is a tea which is steamed as it is dried and so retains a sweet, light flavour with no bitterness. I would have to agree. The tea was light and refreshing with a slight tinge of a spinachy 'green' flavour BUT without the bitterness that I encountered when tasting Whittard's Sencha. Admittedly, I had brewed the Sencha for a little longer that it should have been but even when brewed lightly it still bore the bitter aftertaste.


Tamayokucha was a very pale green, almost yellow colour when brewed for the suggested length of time and sweetened to my taste. I must apologise for not having taken photos of the actual cup; I still have not tracked down a transparent mug suitable for reviews. I do have a few spare white mugs which I might use to photograph from above so that you can appreciate the colour. One thing I also noticed about Two Leaves and a Bud's tea sachets was the quality of the actual tea bag. It appeared to be made from a form of muslin, thin and transparent enough to let you see the contents BUT with amazing strength and an almost plastic texture...as though it had been reinforced. I comment on this because I have had many an incident with a tea bag that has ripped in my mug, spilling the contents everywhere!
Overall rating: 3/5
Light, refreshing and a great everyday tea that I'd recommend to anyone, especially as it was light in caffeine, so perfect for those of us who consume large quantities on a daily basis!
Note: I do not use any sophisticated equipment or methods in brewing my tea. I merely use a kettle and mug! I am not an expert in any way; I just enjoy a good cuppa'!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the Tamy! Wanted to let youknow that the sachets are made from a corn starch based nylon that is biodegradable in composts. Glue is not used to keep it sealed or attach the string but rather sonically heat sealed. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on our other teas!
    Let me know if you need further samples! Enjoy!
    Best,
    Bess@twoleavesandabud.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corn starch based nylon? Sounds very scientific! Thanks Bess, I'm sure (or at least I'm hoping) that readers will find it as interesting as I do!

    ReplyDelete